Have you ever heard the phrase “You have to slow down to speed up?” This phrase perfectly summarizes what it’s like to hire a contractor, team, or agency for your business for the first time. Today, Val and I talk about some of the fears that small business owners and solopreneurs around the world often have before hiring someone else for the first time. I know, it’s scary handing over a piece of your business to someone else! However, with the right tools and preparation, you can make the hiring process painless.
Season 2 of the Get Paid Podcast is sponsored by Acuity Scheduling. Start your exclusive 45-day free trial at acuityscheduling.com/getpaid!
In This Episode You’ll Hear:
- When and why you might hire someone.
- Should you hire a “generalist” who can do it all, or a “specialist” who is great at one specific task?
- How to begin the hiring process. Hint: Make a list of tasks you do in your business, then prioritize that list!
- What are some ways people can apply for your job?
- Should you hire another business owner, or someone just looking for a side-hustle gig?
- Should you pay your new contractor on a per hour, per project, or per month basis?
- Communication and training your new hire: What should you do and why is it important? How can you train your new hire painlessly? Hint: whip up a few quick how-to videos!
Mentioned In This Episode:
- Claire’s fabulous assistant: Gwen Castleberry (Episode 21 of the Get Paid Podcast)
- Splendidly Curious – Suzi Istvan (Episode 4 of the Get Paid Podcast)
- Val’s Job Description Template (downloadable)
- QuickTime (Mac Screen Capture Video Program)
- Movavi (PC Screen Capture Video Program)
- Val’s blog post: How You Can Create Powerful Videos For Your Business Right Now
The TL;DR of the show:
- Checklists and videos can be your (and your contractor’s) saving grace!
- When hiring for a long-term task in your business, hire someone for things that you actually know how to do.
- Understand that you are going to be overwhelmed – but push through it! As Val says, “You have to slow down in your business in order to speed up.”
- Make sure people are following your very clear instructions. Ignore anyone who doesn’t.
Connect with Val and Claire on the ol’ Social Networks:
Thanks for listening! Time to go get yourself paid. :)
Take a Peek at the Tools, Coaches, and Trainings We Use to GET PAID:
Look behind the scenes and see what we're using to keep the money rolling in!
We've done all the research, testing and trial 'n error for you. Grab your copy today!